School District No. 83 is presently seeking
The North Okanagan-Shuswap School District No. 83 invites qualified individuals to apply for our Regular Benchwork/Joinery position. This is a Regular 40 Hours per week CUPE union position, and the rate of pay is $32.99 per hour for 12 months of a year. The effective date is as soon as possible.
The North Okanagan-Shuswap School District is a widely dispersed district which includes the five major communities of Salmon Arm, Sicamous, Sorrento, Enderby, and Armstrong. The school district provides educational support for 5,900 K-12 students in twenty-two schools with a professional staff of more than 1,200 employees. The North Okanagan-Shuswap School District is committed to enhancing a positive work environment for staff and a dynamic and supportive educational experience for students.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
1. Duties will be mainly in millwork and renovations; also, perform a variety of general carpenter tasks.
2. Construct all forms of cabinets including office furniture, bookshelves, teachers’ desks, office/ reception counters, computer labs/desks, and other specialty millworks, using a variety of specialized tools.
3. Perform repairs to millwork and carpentry items.
4. Install cabinet hardware.
5. Apply a variety of laminates and veneers.
6. Choose and select appropriate construction techniques to achieve the objectives of the work order.
7. Perform preventative maintenance work.
8. Perform minor maintenance tasks related to other trades, as assigned.
9. Liaise with Principals, teachers and supervisors to determine specific needs.
10. Prioritize work assignments and liaise with other trades to ensure the project is completed safely, accurately and in a timely manner.
11. Prepare purchase orders, obtain supplies as required and recommend equipment purchase or replacement. Assist
12. in estimating material/labour for assigned projects.
13. Maintain a clean safe work environment.
14. Be willing to accept emergency call-outs for repairs.
The above job description reflects the principal functions of the job. Other comparable or transient duties which are within the areas of knowledge and skills required by the job description may also be assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The work will be mainly inside. Travel to all School District facilities required, transportation may be provided to job site from the Works Complex. Appropriate personal safety equipment is to be supplied and worn by the trades person. Appropriate hand tools for the trade must be supplied by the trades person. May be required to report directly to the worksite.
1. Certification as a journeyman as set out in the B.C. Apprenticeship Act for Bench work and Joinery T.Q.,or equivalent Inter-provincial Technical Qualifications.
2. Three years' working experience as a tradesperson within the specified trades.
3. Demonstrated ability to take direction, carry out assigned duties independently, and work as part of a team with other trades persons.
4. The physical ability to perform assigned duties (including climbing ladders and scaffolds).
5. Working knowledge of other related maintenance trades connected with physical plant servicing preferably with some carpentry certification or experience.
6. Have a good working knowledge of the National Building Code of B.C. and be proficient in reading and interpreting blueprints.
7. Hold a valid B.C. Driver's Licence.
Further information with respect to this position can be obtained by contacting Travis Elwood, Director of Operations, at (250) 832-9415.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.