About the Opportunity
Our thriving Kelowna branch is looking to add a talented and enthusiastic Civil Technologist to join OUR exciting teams of professionals providing quality services to our clients throughout BC. Given current COVID restrictions, there is an ability to work from home in the short term. However, the role would be based in our Kelowna branch eventually. In this role, you will benefit from the support of industry professionals while working on exciting and challenging projects that make a visible difference in many communities.
This position will be within the Transportation practice area, in which the Civil Technologist would be responsible for assisting the team in translating high-level conceptual designs from preliminary, through to detailed design, contractor procurement and construction. The entire spectrum of work is something that our team members navigate and explore every day. Specifically, you can expect to be involved in:
• Developing engineering skills and an understanding of best practices in a practical, real-world setting
• Carrying out design tasks using Civil 3D and/or Infraworks assignments;
• Carrying out construction inspections, survey, and field services;
• Supporting project teams with civil drawings, quantity calculations, project coordination and assisting with design changes during construction;
• Complete project documentation and file information;
• Ensuring quality control and verifying the accuracy of design;
• Proactively and professionally communicating with project leaders, liaising with clients, contractors, consultants, co-workers and the general public;
• Demonstrating a commitment to learning through ongoing achievements of personal and professional goals;
• Performing a variety of defined assignments with independent judgment; and
• Advising the team on technical challenges and troubleshooting.
Our ideal candidates will be new or recent graduates of an accredited Civil Engineering Technology program with up to 3 years of experience. In particular, we are looking for the following skills, strengths and interests:
• Proficiency in Civil 3D (required);
• Proficiency in or willingness to learn Infraworks (required);
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and other MS Office software;
• A keen eye for detail and take great pride in your work, both the large and the small projects;
• Ability to work independently to complete tasks and meet deadlines;
• Understanding of construction processes considered an asset;
• Excellent design skills to aid in completing clear drawing sets, and presentation figures;
• Effective communication and writing abilities;
• Graduate from a civil technology diploma program or equivalent;
• Certification or eligible for certification with ASTTBC; and
• Adherence to our safety requirements and reporting.
Recognized as one of Canada’s top employers, Urban Systems is an employee-owned inter-disciplinary consulting firm based in Western Canada. In business since 1975, we have over four decades of experience working with a variety of clients including all levels of government, Indigenous communities, commercial and residential land developers, and the natural resource sector. Our team of 450 people across multiple branch offices is committed to helping build vibrant communities of all sizes.
Our Commitment to You
At Urban Systems, we make significant investments in our people, which is why we take great care to hire those who we believe will thrive in Urban Systems over the long term. We’ve become recognized as a workplace of choice by nurturing a unique corporate culture that sets us apart and provides:
• Flexible work hours to accommodate your busy lifestyle.
• Encouraged and supported parental leave for all new parents.
• Excellent benefits, including extended health and dental coverage, healthcare spending account, and matching retirement programs.
• A tight-knit culture that is exemplified by respect and inclusion for all.
• Professional development, growth opportunities and coaching.
• Opportunity to be part of our employee-owned company through the Employee Share Purchase Plan.