In accordance with Letter of Understanding #1 – Student Employees, and under the direct supervision of the Chair, English Language Department, the Student assists the supervisor with activities related to helping English Language students connect to their course on Moodle.
FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES
The Student will assist the supervisor by performing the following duties:
1. Communicate/email the English Language instructor regarding students who need technical assistance in accessing course materials via Moodle.
2. Communicate with the students who require technical assistance in accessing Moodle course. Set up appointments using zoom with students, individually or according to language group.
3. Assist English Language students by slowly/patiently/repeatedly showing them how to access Moodle such as access and participate in the collaborate or zoom session, access and complete the assignments and resources posted on Moodle, complete quizzes.
4. Use screen share or very short and easy to follow explainer videos to help students access their Moodle course.
5. Follow up with students to see how they are doing.
6. Report back to instructor on how the sessions went.
7. Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Enrolled in a post-secondary program at Okanagan College.
Prior work experience is an asset.
Cross-cultural experience and knowledge are an asset.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Proficiency in the use of a variety of computer software applications
- Works effectively both independently and as part of a team with an aptitude for working in a collegial and collaborative environment
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Well-developed organizational skills
- Patience and speaking slowly using easy vocabulary
- Other language such as Mandarin, Cantonese, Vietnamese, Portuguese, Spanish, Japanese, Arabic, Farsi [Persian]
- Collaboration & Collegiality
- Effective Interactive Communication
- Integrity & Accountability
- Student & Service Focus
- Cross-cultural Communication and Understanding