Automotive Service Technician Foundation
This 33-week (990 hour) program takes students with little or no previous experience in the automotive repair trade and supplies them with the necessary skills to seek employment in this industry as an apprentice technician. The courses introduce the students to many aspects of servicing and repair in the automotive repair trade with a focus on developing practical skills. Graduates of this program will receive 450 hours towards Automotive Service Technician Year 1 (AST 1) certification and the opportunity to write the AST 1 Certificate of Qualification exam. The AST 1 Certificate of Qualification and 1590 workplace hours are required to proceed into AST 2.
- B.C. secondary school graduation, or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for at least one year as of the first day of classes.
- English 10 with minimum 50% or alternatives.
- Math requirement:
A minimum of 50% in any of:
- Pre-calculus Grade 11
- Foundations of Mathematics Grade 11
- Apprenticeship and Workplace Mathematics Grade 11
- Workplace Mathematics 11
- Principles of Mathematics 11
- Applications of Mathematics 11
- Essentials of Mathematics 11
- Adult Basic Education MATH 011
- Adult Basic Education MATH 084 and MATH 085
- Adult Basic Education IALG 011
Or a minimum of 63% on the ABLE mathematics Test scores are only good for two (2) years.
Applicants who have not satisfied the Math requirement within the last seven (7) years must write the ABLE Mathematics test and must receive a minimum of 63%.
ASTF 109 Industry Work Placement students must receive a "Pass" grade. Minimum passing grade is a GGA of seventy percent (70%).
Perform Safety-Related Functions
Use Tools, Equipment and Documentation
Use Communication and Mentoring Techniques
Diagnose and Repair Driveline Systems
Diagnose and Repair Electrical Systems and Components
Diagnose and Repair Steering and Suspension, Tires, Wheels, Hubs and Wheel Bearings
Diagnose and Repair Braking and Control Systems
Diagnose and Repair Restraint Systems, Body Components, Accessories and Trim
Diagnose and Repair Hybrid and Electric Vehicles (EV)