Project Management Certificate
The intermediate-level 138-hour Okanagan College Project Management Certificate provides students with project management knowledge, strategies and tools that can be applied in the workplace. Offered in a blended learning format that provides a flexible and interactive learning environment, the certificate is designed for project managers at all levels. Project management skills are required in most work environments and project managers can be found in a variety of fields, including government, construction, health, education, information technology, oil and gas, the non-profit sector and business. Program students will learn and demonstrate effective techniques to immediately improve project performance.
Using an applied project scenario, students will use project management tools and techniques to manage a project through the initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, controlling and closing phases. The integrated approach of theory and practical application will address project scope, managing stakeholders, defining project milestones, creating project budgets, critical path analysis, verifying project changes using a change control process to manage issues as they arise, project reporting, and developing a transition plan. Learners will use project management software tools to develop a comprehensive project schedule, define the project's critical path, monitor the project's progress and report any variances to the baseline plan.
Graduates of the Project Management Certificate are qualified to write the Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM) exam as part of the Project Management Institute (PMI) certification process.
- B.C. Secondary School graduation or equivalent, or 19 years of age and out of secondary school for at least one year as of the first day of classes.
- English 12 with minimum 60% or alternatives.
- Math requirement:
A minimum of 70% in any of:
- Foundations of Mathematics and Pre-calculus Grade 10
- Applications of Mathematics 10
- Principles of Mathematics 10
- Adult Basic Education MATH 071 and MATH 072
Or a minimum of 80% on the ABLE Mathematics test. Test scores are only good for two (2) years.
- Excel Level One or successful completion of Excel Level One online assessment.
- For applicants whose first language is not English, a TOEFL score of at least 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based) or 79 (Internet-based), or an overall band score of 6.5 on the academic version of IELTS is required. (Applicants who have successfully completed a diploma or degree from an accredited institution at which English is the language of instruction may submit their academic transcript for review by Okanagan College. Subject to verification, this diploma or degree may be used to meet the English requirement for admission to Okanagan College.
Students must pass all courses with a minimum grade of 70% in each to receive the certificate
Introduction to Project Management
Project Time and Cost Management
Planning the Management of a Project
Project Execution and Leadership
Monitoring, Controlling and Closing a Project