The co-operative education option is offered in the following programs:
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Computer Information Systems
- Business Administration Diploma (all options)
- Civil Engineering Technology
- Computer Information Systems
- Culinary Arts Certificate (mandatory co-op)
- Culinary Management Diploma (mandatory co-op)
- Electronic Engineering Technology
- Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Network and Telecommunications Engineering Technology
- Viticulture Technician Diploma (mandatory co-op)
- Water Engineering Technology
Co-operative education is a system which integrates classroom study with paid on-the-job work experience. Entry into the co-operative education mode is the student's choice and is subject to an academic requirement. Students enrolled in the co-operative education option alternate periods of paid employment with college study. These periods are four months (one work term), eight months (two consecutive work terms) or twelve months (three consecutive work terms) in duration.
For additional information on co-operative education work term eligibility criteria, contact the Co-operative Education and Student Employment Centre, Kelowna Campus at (250) 862-5412 or toll-free 1-877-873-2452 or email email@example.com.
Co-op programs are offered in accordance with the following criteria:
- each work situation is developed and/or approved by Okanagan College as a suitable learning experience;
- the student is engaged in productive work rather than merely observing;
- the student receives remuneration for work performed;
- the student's progress on the job is monitored by Okanagan College;
- the student's performance on the job is monitored and evaluated by both the employer and Okanagan College;
- the total co-operative work experience is normally 30 to 50% of the time spent in academic study.
Co-operative education work term eligibility criteria:
Students must meet the following criteria to participate in co-op work terms:
- Complete and submit a Co-op Work Term Application Form to the Co-operative Education office. A $86.15 non-refundable fee must accompany the application.
- Be registered in a full-time program. Program courses successfully completed prior to registration in the program, will be recognized as part of a full program and need not be repeated.
- Successfully complete all required courses or receive equivalent transfer credit.
- Attain a minimum grade average as established by Okanagan College as follows:
- A minimum grade average of 65% in Business Administration Diploma or Degree, Computer Information Systems Diploma or Degree;
- A minimum grade average of 60% in Civil Engineering Technology, Electronic Engineering Technology, Mechanical Engineering Technology, Network and Telecommunications Engineering Technology, Water EngineeringTechnology;
Students may participate in work terms based on previous work term experience.
Fees 2015-16: Students pay a co-operative education fee of $287.16 for each four-month work term.